Friday, January 28, 2011

The Continued Deliverance of God

We have been blessed as God's children to have His deliverance from our enemies. David experienced that throughout his life. Even after all that he had done in his life both bad and good; the Lord delivered him out of the hands of his enemies. We need to leave the vengeance to the Lord, because if we take it into our own hands we dishonor God. We are looking at the final part of chapter 18 of Psalms.

"They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the Lord, but He answered them not."(41) Our enemies seek salvation, but not in the way that we do. If they truly want salvation; then the Lord will hear them.


"Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in the streets."(42) Later in the Old Testament, in Zechariah it says, "And they shall be as mighty men, which tread down their enemies in the mire of the streets in battle: and they shall fight, because the Lord is with them, and the riders on horses shall be confounded."(10:5) The victory is not accomplished by man's strength, but through the Lord's almighty power.


"Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people; and thou hast made me the head of the heathen: a people whom I have not known shall serve me."(43) In Isaiah, it talks of the Lord's deliverance, "Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee because of the Lord thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee."(Is. 55:5) Later in Psalms, it says, "Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee."(Ps. 66:3) That verse is giving praise to God for His deliverance.


"As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me: the strangers shall submit themselves unto me."(44) It is because of God that submission under the rule of David is possible over these strangers.


"The strangers shall fade away, and be afraid out of their close places."(45) David says the same thing earlier in 2 Samuel 22:46. The enemies of the Lord have this to look forward to according to Micah the prophet, "They shall lick the dust like a serpent, they shall move out of their holes like worms of the earth: they shall be afraid of the Lord our God, and shall fear because of Thee.(Micah 7:17)


"The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted."(46) We are saved by an everlasting God. We are not saved by some dead prophet or hidden holy man, but by a living God. With penitent heart, David speaks these words to Nathan, "Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness."(Ps. 51:14) Even after all that he did, he was called a man after God's own heart. David knew when he had done something wrong, and sometimes the Lord had to get his attention.


"It is God that avengeth me, and subdueth the people under me."(47) The Lord God reigns, and no one will overtake Him.


"He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: Thou hast delivered me from the violent man."(48) Even when the battle is raging; the Lord delivers us.


"Therefore will I give thanks unto Thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and sing praises unto Thy name."(49) The small bit of gratitude that we have within us cannot begin to speak of the almighty power of God.


"Great deliverance giveth he to his king; and sheweth mercy to his anointed, to David, and to his seed for evermore."(50) There is so much more to the attributes of God that we cannot begin to describe.


Lord, Thank You for your continued deliverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment