Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday: God's Love?

I just read a blog, "Meditations for the Liminals" meditationsfortheliminals.blogspot.com , it talked about about why this person was "Mad at Fundamentalism". I think that she has seen a great deal of hurt from those that would call themselves "fundamentalists". I tend to agree with what she described in her blog. I think that we ignore the real issues when it comes to our faith. What I would call the "fundamentals of our faith". In Matthew 19:13-15, Jesus blesses the little children, "Then were there brought unto Him little children, that He should put His hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. And He laid His hands on them, and departed thence." This was the simple explanation of a child-like faith. You would think that we understood what He said here. We as Christians make God's love so complicated. I think that we miss opportunities to minister to people based on the fact that they are not like us. We need to step outside our comfort zone, and show God's love to those that we would consider unlovely. Or would you rather have God ask you at judgment time, Why did you not proclaim My love to this person or these people?

I am not questioning God's love, but so many people do. Here is the reason why He did what He did, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). We need not be so quick to judge others, but we need to be concerned about where they will spend eternity. I just want to reiterate what it says in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world..." This message was meant for the whole world, not just those of us that would consider ourselves "fundamentalist". Let us proclaim the name of Jesus everywhere, and tell them about His unconditional love.

2 comments:

  1. true, but how can the world see your love if you still cling to the label "fundamentalist"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not clinging to the label of "fundamentalist", I am a Christian first and foremost. I was also not referring to myself when I was talking about fundamentalist. Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong. Fundamentalism does not save people, Christ saves people.

    ReplyDelete