Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday: Guide Me, O Thou, Great Jehovah

We are all in need of guidance, otherwise we would probably be in a maze with all the lights turned out. So many of us are running full steam ahead, that we ignore the path ahead. Sometimes we run into walls, because we are completely oblivious to our surroundings. "He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."(Psalms 23:3) I know that the Lord will lead me where He wants me to go.

"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation."(5:1) We are not talking a phone line that is dead. We are talking to a God that is actively listening to our meditations.

"Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto Thee will I pray."(5:2) David makes his plead to God again, but he knows that God will answer at the right time and lead him in the right direction. The ungodly pray to deaf gods and believe in empty promises.

"My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."(5:3) David talks of his morning meditations, and how he looks to God for direction.

"For thou art not a God hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee."(5:4) God cannot be a part of any wickedness, and He will judge according to the deeds of man.

"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."(5:5) God sees the heart of man, and it is "desperately wicked."(Jeremiah 17:9)

"Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man."(5:6) Those that shed innocent blood will not be able to escape the judgment of God.

"But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple."(5:7) We come into the House of the Lord, and we do it with a reverence and fear.

"Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face."(5:8) God leads us in righteousness all the way.

"For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue."(5:9) The wicked only know wickedness.

"Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee."(5:10) This is a prayer for David's enemies and he asks God to deal with them.

"But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy; because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee."(5:11) We do rejoice in what God has done and is still doing in our lives.

"For thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favor wilt thou compass him as with a shield."(5:12) God will continue to protect His children until the end.

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more;
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through.
Strong deliverer, strong deliverer,
be thou still my strength and shield;
be thou still my strength and shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
death of death and hell's destruction,
land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee;
I will ever give to thee.

(Guide Me, O Thou, Great Jehovah-Text: William Williams, trans. from the Welsh by Peter Williams, Music: John Hughes)

No comments:

Post a Comment