Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday: Rest in the Lord

In Psalms 4 it talks about resting after the day is done. Sleep is a hard thing to come by when you are busy with a myriad of things. The rest of the Lord is far better than any retreat that you can go on to relax. It is knowing that the Lord is a mighty fortress, and that He will protect while you rest.

"Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer."(4:1) This is a calling out of David, which was in much distress while be hunted down by Absalom, his son. Some problems do not give us any rest to speak of.

"O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah."(4:2) God's glory is shamed by the way some people act and portray Him. How can we love things that are not fulfilling? The media is good about pumping up things that are only a temporary means of satisfaction. "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." (I Timothy 6:8) Contentment is difficult in this world, because of all the things that it claims to offer and fulfill you.

"But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto Him."(4:3) God does know that we do set apart time with Him on a daily basis, and He is ready to listen to what we have to say.

"Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah." (4:4) We need to calm ourselves and dwell on these things that He said in the previous verses. How can we not stand in awe of what He has done for us?

"Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord."(4:5)
We have seen how the people in the Old Testament offered sacrifices for their sins, per what God commanded. This gives us a picture of the ultimate sacrifice that would take place in the New Testament. "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."(Romans 12:1) He has never made any unreasonable requests of His people. This is a sacrifice of the flesh, which always gets in the way of us laying ourselves down before God as a living sacrifice.

"There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us."(4:6) Thanks be to the Lord that has shown us great good. He has been a light in this present darkness.

"Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased."(4:7) David talks of a greater gladness in the times without, than with great increase. God shall supply all our needs.

"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety."(4:8) God puts a hedge of protection around His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment